Friday, March 18, 2011

Ruffle Fabric Pillow

If you read my Ruffle Fabric T-shirt Dress post, you know that I ordered fabric for my daughter's dress at rufflefabric.com.  My original plan for her dress got squashed when she insisted on the pink sherbert looking ruffle fabric, but I had high hopes of changing her mind so I also ordered the charcoal gray fabric that I wanted.  Well she got her pink dress and I got a pile of gray ruffle fabric, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I don't have any big plans for the fabric yet, but I will :).  For now, I decided to use some of the fabric to pretty up what was going to be a plain recovered pillow...because everything's better with ruffles, right???




I started out with this fabric from IKEA...




and my ruffles from rufflefabric.com...


I cut my fabric 3 ruffle rows wide.  No need to finish the edges because this fabric doesn't fray!  I wanted the ruffles to be even more ruffly so I ruffled the ruffled fabric...does that even make sense?  To determine the length of the ruffle fabric, I estimated how many inches around the pillow would be (the diameter), and I used about double the length of ruffle fabric. 


did a quick hand stitch under the middle ruffle and scrunched the fabric.



Then I pinned my ruffle in place on the front and back of the pillow and sewed it down.  I just used a straight stitch right next to my hand stitch.  Once the ruffle is sewn on, remove the hand stitch.




Finish the pillow like normal...just make sure the ruffles are lined up on the front and back before you sew the 2 sides together.




I love how easy it was to add some prettiness to a plain pillow!


HookingupwithHoHTidy Mom

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up
    party!







3 comments:

  1. Lovely project.
    I'm making a trip to Romania later in the year to teach some sewing projects to a class of gypsy women. They want projects they will be able to sell at the local markets. I think this would work well. Adding this to my file of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I love the flower fabric too. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these pillows! It was great to meet you guys this weekend and I wan't wait to do it again!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete